Economy

Half a million Romanians to stay in the UK after Brexit

As of the end of January, nearly half a million Romanians had applied to stay and work in the United Kingdom after Brexit. The Embassy of Romania in London published on its Facebook page that up until January 31, no less than 498,700 Romanian citizens had applied with British authorities for permanent resident, or settlement, status to remain in the UK.

The Embassy also pointed out that compared to the end of last year, the number applying for a permanent residence permit had increased by 63,000.

Until now, approximately 3.1 million European citizens have asked for settlement permits through the online registration platform made available by the British authorities, the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). From these applications, 2.7 million have already been already processed, with about 58 percent of the applicants receiving permanent settlement status, and the remaining 42 percent, pre-settlement status.

EU citizens who have been living for five years continuously io the territory of the United Kingdom can receive settlement status, which provides for the same rights and benefits that they enjoyed before Brexit. Applications can be submitted until June 2021.

Title image: Compared to the end of last year, the number of applicants for a settlement permit had increased by 63,000. Photo: transindex.ro

Author: Orsi Sarány