Úz Valley Cemetery

Anti-Discrimination Council investigating Hungarian politicians

Based on charges by Romanian nationalist organizations the Romanian National Anti-Discrimination Council (CNCD) started to investigate the responsibility of some Transylvanian-Hungarian politician in connection to the Úz Valley incident that happened on the 6th of June 2019.

Presidents of Hargita/Harghita and Kovászna/Covasna County, Csaba Borboly and Sándor Tamás; Csíkszentmárton/Sânmartin mayor András Gergely and MP Attila Korodi, and senator Barna Tánczos are pressed with charges because their statements -made before 6th June- are believed to be discriminatory.

These organizations find also discriminatory that members of the Democratic Alliance of Hungarians in Romania (RMDSZ) tried to prevent the arriving Romanians from entering to the cemetery – for the commemoration of their (Romanian) Heroes’ Day – with a peacefully praying human chain.

“They also consider discriminatory that we were praying only in Hungarian in front of the cemetery.”

– said Csaba Borboly Thursday morning in the Hungarian Kossuth Radio.

RMDSZ caucus leader Attila Korodi told Hungarian news agency MTI that by obeying to the summons of the Anti-Discrimination Council he appeared on Tuesday at the Bucharest bureau together with Barna Tánczos. At the hearing, the Szekler politicians described the resulting political situation of the Úz Valley cemetery modifications. They described in detail how they provided the possibility for the arriving Romanian crowd to leave their wreaths at the foot of the rock fence, outside the cemetery.

Attila Kórodi also added: that every move of theirs was aimed at restoring legality. Previously, several Romanian authorities already assessed that both the creation of the new Romanian parcel and erecting of a new memorial inside the cemetery –both done by the mayor’s office of Dărmănești/Dormánfalva – was illegal.

Up to this day the gendarmerie sentenced only Csaba Borboly and Róbert Grüman for RON 3,000 (EUR 330) penalty (/person) because the human chain was not announced to the authorities’ in advance.

 

TItle image: human chain around the Úz Valley cemetery on 6. June 2016. (Photo: www.uz-volgye.ro)

 

Author: Attila Szoó