fbpx
Crime

Number of illegal border crossings between Romania and Hungary has doubled

The Arad County border police have intercepted 2.3 times more irregular border-crossers at the Romanian-Hungarian border during the first 10 months of 2020 compared to the number of illegal migrants reported for the same period last year. Most of the undocumented immigrants arrived from an Asian country and tried to get to Hungary by hiding in a lorry or a minivan.

The spokesman of the Arad County border police told the Agerpres news agency that from January 1 until the end of October, border guards detained a total of 759 people who tried to get across the Romanian-Hungarian border illegally. Their plan was to get from Romania to Hungary, then travel to one of the Western European countries.

As the border police reported, only two of the 759 lawbreakers were citizens of a European Union member state. All the other illegal immigrants arrived from a non-EU country, mostly Syria, Turkey, Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam and India. About 90 percent of the intercepted migrants tried to cross the border hidden in trucks. The remaining 10 percent attempted to cross the border on foot or tried to circumvent border control by presenting fake documents.

Title image: Most of the illegal immigrants tried to get from Romania to Hungary hidden in a lorry Source: politiadefrontiera.ro

Author: Éva Zay