EU citizens still have access to healthcare while visiting the UK

EU citizens traveling to the UK as tourists or students or for business purposes will still have access to the healthcare system, according to the regulations already in force, and may use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). In addition, pensioners moving to the UK will also receive free medical treatments, Hungarian news portal in Transylvania, Székelyhon.ro, reports.

The right of EU citizens to healthcare in the UK is regulated in detail in the post-Brexit agreement, reached last week between the UK and European Union. According to the document, after the Brexit transition period, which ended on December 31, 2020, those who are temporarily visiting the UK, for example, tourists, students or businessmen, will continue to have access to healthcare while traveling, the National Health Insurance House of Hargita (Harghita) County informed Székelyhon. These people may use their EHIC to receive medical treatment.

In the case of a longer stay, foreigners may have access to UK healthcare based on the regulations of UK immigration law. In this case, people have to pay a fee, which is also a condition for obtaining a visa for stays longer than six months. EU citizens are also obliged to pay this surcharge. However, this amount will be reimbursed to students and people who are insured in their Member State based on their S1 form, which certifies the status of an insured person.

Retired EU citizens who move to the UK will also have access to the healthcare system based on their S1 form. Thus, although the UK’s immigration laws may impose new requirements, the post-Brexit agreement guarantees that the EU Member State in which the person is insured will reimburse  medical expenses to the State of residence, as was the case before Brexit.

The National Health Insurance House (CNAS) also informed that for planned medical treatments in the UK, an S2 form will be necessary starting January 1, 2021.

Other information about access to the Romanian or UK healthcare system may be found on CNAS’ website. Citizens may send their questions about health insurance related to Brexit to the following e-mail address: brexit@casan.ro. They may also call CNAS directly on the 0769-087103 hotline, established for this purpose.

Title image: Tourists, students or people traveling for business in the UK may use their EHIC to access the healthcare system

Author: Orsi Sarány